Having weakness and pain in the forearm. What can be done?

i am having pain in the left forearm and weakness in the left arm
Posted Sun, 9 Jun 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 10 hours later
Hello and thank you for sending your question.

I will work on providing you with some information and recommendations.

From the question you have submitted it appears that you're having weakness and pain in your left arm.

There are several different possible causes of this. One potential cause would be a pinched nerve in your neck or in the bundle of nerves near your shoulder. This would potentially cause progressive weakness and certainly pain as well. In light of this I would recommend that you see your primary doctor as soon as possible for a good physical examination and consultation.

Another possible factor which is not as likely would be some type of disruption of blood flow to your arm. I doubt this is the case for you. This type of phenomenon is also associate with a cold feeling in the arm and hands.

I think what you're experiencing is most likely musculoskeletal in origin. Again a detailed consultation with your primary care doctor would be the first thing that I would recommend. Your doctor might recommend that you have some physical therapy. Also the doctor might consider requesting some type of imaging studies such as x-ray or MRI.

Regardless, I would recommend that you have this evaluated within the next 24 hours.

Thanks again for sending your question. Please let me know if you have any additional specific concerns.

Dr. Galamaga