Having vp shunt for pseudo tumor cerebri. Head got hit. Headache and pressure behind neck. Reason?

Nov 2013

I was shunted 3 years ago with a vp shunt due to pseudo tumor cerebri. Lady night, I hit my head directly on the shunt pretty hard leaning into the backseat of my car to get something on the outside of the car. It literally felt like it knocked me silly and almost like the shunt moved. Today, it is very sore, I have a faint headache and pressure behind my neck with some nausea. Should I have this checked?
Posted Sat, 26 Oct 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
There is no need to worry at present

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for posting your query.

There is no need to worry at present. The trauma you had to your head is minor, and is unlikely to displace the shunt tube.

The headache and soreness would settle down on its own in a day or two.

However, if there is persistent headache or vomiting, you may get it checked.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist
Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad