Having vision flotters like little black linens and dots. What could it be?

Ophthalmologist
Question
I've been having vision flotters its like little black linens, specs, dots...... What could be the cause? My BP is good. Also when I bend over to pick something up I see little sparkling dots or stars!!
Posted Sun, 25 Aug 2013 in Vision and Eye Disorders

Answered by Dr. Dadapeer K 4 days later
From the history you have quoted, floaters in the vision are a common complaint seen most commonly in benign or non-dangerous causes.
The common causes are congenital remnants of the primary vitreous, which will not cause any complication and hence may not require treatment. The other causes are following injury to the eye, inflammatory conditions of the eye, age related degeneration of the vitreous, which occurs by 40-50 years of age.
The important point to be considered in a case with flaoters is onset of the symptoms. If it is sudden onset it needs to be evaluated, as it may be associated with small retinal tears, which may require treatment in the form of laser to prevent complications, associated with it.
Since your age is 26 and if these symptoms are of sudden onset I strongly advise you to undergo eye examination by a ophthalmologist or preferably by a retina specialist for indirect ophthalmoscopy to look for retinal tears, the condition which may require treatment among the causes for floaters.
Otherwise, all the remaining causes for floaters are benign and may not require treatment.
Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions, I will be happy to help.
Thank you

Follow-up: Having vision flotters like little black linens and dots. What could it be? 16 hours later
All this started during my pregnancy and I just gave birth 4 months ago but still have them!

Answered by Dr. Dadapeer K 7 hours later
Hello, XXXXX
Pregnancy changes during eye are common; and common changes in the eye during pregnancy are change in refractive error, serous detachments of choroid and retina.

Floaters are seen more commonly in pregnancy if pregnancy is associated with raised blood pressure leading to eclampsia or pre eclampsia. Most of these pregnancy associated conditions are self limiting and once pregnancy is over they will undergo spontaneous improvement.
Since it 4 months following your child birth pregnancy related causes are unlikely.

I would like to consider other causes in your case as cause for your floaters.

As I had mentioned earlier like posterior vitreous detachment and other retinal pathologies are possibilities. All these can be ruled out by simple retinal examination of the eye by your ophthalmologist. Hence if these symptoms persist or increase in severity do consult your ophthalmologist for eye examination.

Thank you