Having very small bulge in groin area. Is it inguinal hernia? Treatment?

Pain Medicine & Palliative Care Specialist
I think I have an inguinal hernia. Very small buldge in my groin area just recently appeared I plan on seeing a md but wanted to know what the treatment options were
Posted Fri, 13 Sep 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Kerry Pottinger 42 minutes later
Thank you for using Healthcare Magic.
A inguinal hernia is not a serious condition. It is caused by a weakness in the muscles of the groin area and bulging of the tissues through the weak area. This may cause intermittent discomfort. If it is very minor it may only cause very ocassional problems. The risk is if the tissues bulge through the weakness and then get stuck this may cause severe pain or intestinal obstruction.
The treatment to avoid this scenario is an inguinal hernia repair done as a planned procedure. This is not a major operation and in many hospitals is carried out as a day case or out patient procedure. It can be done under general, spinal or local anesthesia and takes about 30 minutes.
The recovery time is about 5 to 7 days depending on your current health. Driving would not be advised for 4 weeks.
I hope this has helped you. If you have any further questions please do not hesitate to contact me.
Dr K A Pottinger,