Having very light periods. Not pregnant. Will I be able to conceive naturally?

Infertility Specialist
Question
I have had normal periods up until July now they have gone very light with bleeding in between. I am trying to conceive, I am not pregnant and seen a Gynaecologist who is happy with me but I am still worried, should I be able to conceive naturally?
Posted Fri, 27 Sep 2013 in Infertility Problem

Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Please send reports

Detailed Answer:
Hi, please send me your following investigations. Hormonal profile on day 2 of your cycle : FSH, LH & AMH. Other hormones onany day : prolactin, Thyroid profile. Since you are PCO, please let me know your height & weight. Let me know ifyou have tubal status assessment by HSG or laparoscopy to confirm both fallopian tubes are open or not. I am asking all this since you are 37 years old and i believe you need to hurry up with pregnancy efforts. Please get above tests done if not done already. If done please send me reports. I would also like to see your partner's IVF & Infertility Specialist

Follow-up: Having very light periods. Not pregnant. Will I be able to conceive naturally? 32 minutes later
I have no copies of blood results etc. My husband has not had semen analysis as he wont agree with it. Everyone just keeps tell me to stop worrying and everything is fine. I have attached a couple of documents

I forgot to say Gynaecologist said I have Polycystic Ovaries but not the syndrome.

I am overweight by weighing 17stone 4 pounds. Gynaecologist says if I lose weight I will conceive naturally.

My periods have come back to normal today with the normal flow

Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 12 hours later
Brief Answer:
Get the reports

Detailed Answer:
Hi, i agree that weight loss is important in PCO patients like you. Since you are already 37 years i dont want you to wait any longer for nstural conception. Your husband's semen analysis is really important and must be done for complete evaluation. Your scan report attached shows PCO which is not a great problem. Pleade get back to me with reports. Go ahead with IUI or IVF considering your age. Let me know if you have any more queries. Regards

Follow-up: Having very light periods. Not pregnant. Will I be able to conceive naturally? 3 hours later
There is no way husband will have semen analysis he says If I am to get pregnant it will happen. We do not want IVF or treatment I just wonder if you do think I do have a chance of conception please on our own?

Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Age is running out

Detailed Answer:
Hi, there is possible chance of conception. But can't comment on the chances or percentage. I want evaluation as you are crossing good years of reproduction. Since you already tried and not conceived it is important to get evaluated. Be sooner than later. The best reproductive age gone once wont come back. Please think and take right decision

Follow-up: Having very light periods. Not pregnant. Will I be able to conceive naturally? 17 hours later
If a Clearblue fertility monitor shows I am ovulating is this right that I do ovulate on my own as I have used ovulation predictor kits and they have never shown ovulation. My GP says fertility monitor is a much better way of knowing that I ovulate. Fertility monitor does show some months I ovulate and most months but a couple of months it has never shown ovulation

Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 11 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Its not 100%

Detailed Answer:
HI,
Yes. If clear blue shows ovulation, its generally right and its best time to try naturally. But its not 100 % sure way to confirm as it has its own false prediction rates. Better way is to get follicular growth scans done to to now exact time of ovulation and try accordingly.

Follow-up: Having very light periods. Not pregnant. Will I be able to conceive naturally? 1 hour later
I have asked my Gynaecologist for these scans but he has discharged me as he says there is nothing wrong on reviewing all my blood work and uss. My husband wont do another semen analysis also so hence I have been discharged.

A Day 21 and other blood tests have shown ovulation as well as the monitor so hopefully I will conceive naturally.

Should you have intercourse throughout all the month or just when fertility monitor says?

Thank you

Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
About 4 days are enough

Detailed Answer:
It is advisable to have intercourse from the day of fertility monitor positive to 4 days later. Your ovulation will be approximately 14 days prior to next cycle.