Having very bad cold and blocked nose. Is it safe to give wikoryl?

Question
my daughter had a very bad cold and blocked nose for the past two weeks. is wikoryl syrup is good?
Posted Wed, 28 Nov 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 1 hour later
Hi XXXXXXX,
Wikoryl syp is good drug but be cautious of overdose, it can sedate the child and can cause respiratory passage to be dry and may lead to further problems.
If you can find at you pharmacy the Maxtra-P pediatric drops are less sedative and easy to give, 0.3 ml every 6hours by the accompanying dropper would be the dose.
Hope I have answered your query.
If you have any questions I will be happy to answer.
Please close the query if you have no other questions.
Wish you a good health.

Follow-up: Having very bad cold and blocked nose. Is it safe to give wikoryl? 17 hours later
thank you for your valuable advice. is there any chance turn this blocked into any other serious problem, because it is there from the past two weeks..

Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 7 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX,
Thanks for revisiting query.
Mostly the upper respiratory tract infections are viral in origin but because her symptoms have stayed long, it may have bacterial infection in addition.
You should carry out the treatment in the supervision of a local physician.
She would need antibiotics also for treatment.
Prolonged blocked nose may result in chronic sinusitis which is a difficult to treat disease.
Hope I have answered your query.
Wish you a good health.