Having vein like feeling in armpit. What is causing this feeling?

Hi I'm 28 female just wondering I have in my left armpit this vein like that I feel but on the right side I don't feel that! I've had it many years! Just wondering should I be feeling the same thing under each armpit
Posted Sat, 13 Oct 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 2 hours later
Hello, I would be happy to help you with your question.

Thank you for being patient. From what you are describing, I am not too concerned at all, for the following reasons:

1. You are young and the risk of cancer is extremely low
2. The finding on the left has been present for years
3. This sounds like it is outside of the border of the breast tissue (i.e. it is likely not related to a breast lump).

In answer to your question, this sounds normal. It either represents the border of a muscle (with some assymetry compared to the right) or a lymph node that is larger than the other side. I would point this out to your doctor the next time that you go in for an annual exam and breast exam.

I hope this helps - DR XXXXXX