Having varying heart rate and weak pulse. Is there any risks?

My heart rate varies from day to day even while resting. Usually it is around 60 bpm at rest but lately when i check it at night its about 50 and my pulse is weak and one time i couldnt find it at all. I am in good shape and run a mile or two every day but I am wondering why my heart rate is so low in the evening and if that is safe. Thank you
Posted Tue, 7 Aug 2012 in Heart Rate and Rhythm Disorders
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 26 minutes later
Hello and thanks for the query.
 For most people, a heart rate of 60 to 100 beats a minute while at rest is considered normal. If your heart beats less than 60 times a minute, it is slower than normal.
A slow heart rate can be normal and healthy. Or it could be a sign of a problem with the heart's electrical system.

For some people, a slow heart rate does not cause any problems. It can be a sign of being very fit. Healthy young adults and athletes often have heart rates of less than 60 beats a minute.

In other people, bradycardia( slow heart rate ) is a sign of a problem with the heart's electrical system. It means that the heart's natural pacemaker is not working right or that the electrical pathways of the heart are disrupted. In severe forms of bradycardia, the heart beats so slowly that it does not pump enough blood to XXXXXXX the body's needs. This can cause symptoms and can be life-threatening.

A very slow heart rate due to some problem with heart are
Feel dizzy or lightheaded.
Feel short of breath and find it harder to exercise.
Feel tired.
Have chest pain or a feeling that your heart is pounding or fluttering (palpitations).
Feel confused or have trouble concentrating.
Faint, if a slow heart rate causes a drop in blood pressure.

Since you don't have any of these symptoms,you can rest assured that everything is normal and there is nothing to worry,however if you start having any of the above mentioned symptoms,you may consult a cardiologist in that situation.

If any further query,please feel free to ask.
Best of luck
Follow-up: Having varying heart rate and weak pulse. Is there any risks? 8 minutes later
Thank you for your reply. I have seen two cardiologists and had a stress test as well as multiple ekgs and CBC and everything has come back normal. If there was a problem with the electrical system would it have been found in these tests? Thank you
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 2 hours later
Had you been having any cardiac anomaly,it would have been found in your EKG's and stress test.
You are absolutely normal.
Forget it and enjoy your life.