Having various neurologic symptoms. Had cough with chest pain. Does this imaging rule out the possibility of lung cancer?

I have been having various neurologic symptoms for the past 14 months. I had a chest ct with contrast 11 months ago and was repeated last week both negative. There were no findings in either. I have had a cough with chest pain the last 4 months as well. This being the reason for the second ct of chest. Does this imaging rule out the possibility of lung cancer? I am a 29 year old ex smoker with 5 pack year history
Posted Fri, 18 Oct 2013 in Cancer
Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 15 hours later
Brief Answer:
Lung cancer ruled out

Detailed Answer:
As two CT scans in one year in luding a recent one is negative, lung cancer is ruled out. Also, chance of any serious lung disease other than cancer very unlikely because of same reason.
Your cough may be due to throat problems, gastroesophageal reflux, lung airway hyper-reactivity ( which does not show up on CT. scans) . Your respiratory physician will guide you on these.