Having varied eosinophil count from 1000 to a low of 565. No symptoms and no allergies. Should I see a hematologist?

My eosinophil count has been elevated for 9 years . They have varied from a high of 1000 to a low of 565. Once they were even normal .Currently they are 800 and 12% of my blood . Rest of CBC has always been in normal range Sed rate is also normal. No allergies have been found and I have no symptoms. Many doctors have told me to forget it and not to worry. Should I see a hematologist
Posted Fri, 21 Jun 2013 in Blood Disorders
Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 1 hour later
Hi !

Thank you for your query.

Dear madam ,

Looking into your problem i believe that you have got yourself evaluated quite thoroughly as it is a long standing problem . As you mention in your history that rest of blood counts are always normal , ESR is normal that makes it quite innocent problem otherwise other blood counts would also have been affected sometime .

Hypereosinophillia can be caused by lot of causes - namely infections, specially parasitic infestations, asthma and allergies, respiratory diseases, vasculitis non-haematological malignant diseases, drug reactions and connective tissue diseases, Acute and chronic eosinophilic leukaemia and chronic myeloid leukaemia etc. There can be a never ending list for this.

Since you dont have any symptoms you should not be worried about it . But if you wish to get yourself checked by a hematologist there is no harm in that infact you should get a specialist opinion.

Hope you are satisfied with the answer.

If you have any further queries feel free to ask.

Wish you good health.

Dr. Shruti
Follow-up: Having varied eosinophil count from 1000 to a low of 565. No symptoms and no allergies. Should I see a hematologist? 4 hours later
Should parasitic disease be looked into. Stool samples were negative,but I know this does not always rule it out. Would eosinophil levels stay more steady if it was parasitic. I really don't know where I could have picked one up. Can this just be idiopathic
Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 11 hours later
Hi !

Thank you for your query.

Yes definitely parasitic infections anywhere in the body can lead to eosinophilia. Repeated stool samples are necessary for diagnosing it. Well that cannot be said if they will be steady or fluctuating but yes it is one of the most common causes of eosinophillia. A dose of albendazole or mebendazole can be prescribed by your doctor.

When no cause can be find out it is termed idiopathic. You can see a physician for your parasitic infection problem. Don't panic just get yourself evaluated and you will be alright soon.

Dr Shruti