Having variable SGPT and SGOT values. Taking alcohol. What precaution should I take?

Hello Sir,

I am having inconsistent SGPT & SGOT from a long time, I consume alcohol once in a week or two weeks with friends not addicted to it, ratio of SGOT/SGPT is around 0.45 earlier it was 36/69 now it is 44/88. Just want to know whether consumption of alcohol is one of the reason ( as i love partying with friends so want to continue with it on control basis). What precautions should I take ?

Posted Wed, 25 Jul 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Ramesh M.Vachharajani 16 minutes later
Thanks for writing in.
Your SGPT and SGOT are on higher side and require evaluation. Alcohol does damage in your liver, particularly if you have >80 g of alcohol [ 240 ml of 30% whiskey or rum OR 1.5 litres of beer] once a day. So if you’re consuming a lot of alcohol ( just once a week or once in 2 weeks), that would amount to a significant amount of alcohol per day. This much of alcohol can lead to cirrhosis in 10 years. This is an extremely XXXXXXX and potentially fatal condition where the liver is damaged permanently.
This damages the liver and does not allow the liver to repair itself as well. I think it would be better if you get an ultrasound of the abdomen to see the condition of the liver.
I would also suggest the following:
a.     Have a low fat diet. Avoid oil, fried and junk food.
b.     Restrict alcohol use as much as possible
c.     Do not take any medications without speaking with your physician.
I hope I have answered your query.
If you have further query or clarification, please ask. I will be happy to help.
Wish you good health.