Having valley fever and lung lobe removed. Feeling lower back, legs and hips are weak. Had mononucleosis. Underlying cause?

Question
I have Valley Fever and have had a lung lobe removed last year (hospital 8 days). Since then I haven't gone for walks outside, and I feel my lower back, legs and hips are unusually sore and weak feeling...sometimes my legs feel heavy like you feel when you step out of a pool (and I am overweight 5'7" 240), but why now? I'm having more trouble at age 66 stepping down into the pool unassisted or getting up out of a chair or off of the floor. I'm weaker turning over in bed. I write it off to inactivity, but I'm not sure. My nephew was just now diagnosed with MS. I have had mononucleosis as a teen (a month of missed school), facial shingles as an adult (hospital 3 days), double pneumonia (hospital 10 days), Hashimoto's thryroid disease, and now Valley Fever. My immune system checked out fine with an allergy specialist who ran tests. Why am I getting all this stuff? Why leg weakness now? Should I ignore it? If not, who should I see?
Posted Sun, 11 Aug 2013 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 2 hours later
Hello;

I understand you have a history of "valley fever" treated among other ways via a lung resection. Your complaints do not sound as if they are related to multiple sclerosis. Typically with multiple sclerosis you would have migrating weakness or numbness in a limb or area of your body not overall weakness and fatigue. It is not clear to me why you have had so many issues as mentioned above. Your current symptoms could be related to your thyroid disease.

Was your thyroid level recently checked?

With your history of lung section removal, did you have otherwise normal lung function before the surgery?
What is your lung function now?
What is your oxygen level? Decreased lung function,especially causing a low oxygen level can cause the symptoms you are complaining of.

I would start with your family doctor with a full physical to include blood work, thyroid, lung function and resting and walking oxygen levels.

I hope this helps. Please let me know if I can help with anything else.

Follow-up: Having valley fever and lung lobe removed. Feeling lower back, legs and hips are weak. Had mononucleosis. Underlying cause? 4 hours later
My thyroid is checked every six months by an endocrinologist. Current dose was ok. Oxygen is 97 percent in doctors offices recently. My concern about MS is because I've been mentioning hip and upper leg stiffness/ache to family alt lately, and later learned my nephew had MS. My legs are even getting harder to lift up into the car. In reading about MS it I read that momo virus or EBV is considered related to MS, and thyroid disease is suggestive too. it made me wonder. Thanks.

Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 11 hours later
At your next doctors visit you should have them check you oxygen when you are walking. Also, a pulmonary function test would be helpful. All in all it doesn't sound like M.S. If you are really concerned then you should have an MRI of the Brain....to look for lesions consistent with M.S. and maybe some peripheral nerve studies to see why you have hip and upper leg stiffness/aches etc.