Ask a Urologist   »  

Having urination involuntarily. What should I do?

Approx a month a go I noticed that whilst peeing, during midstream, the stream would weaken as if it was about to stop then would carry on. However today the pee stopped and started like 4 times during the flow involuntarily. This has me worried as it has never happened before. I had an ultrasound of the kidney and bladder which showed everything was fine and that i had emptied my bladder. Also, a urine sample was taken which came back negative for everything. Any idea what could have caused this? Some additional info: -Female, 23 years old, no previous urinary problems, not pregnant, no back pain, no constipation, relatively healthy diet, I don't smoke, drink or do drugs.
Posted Tue, 31 Dec 2013 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. G.Srinivasan 5 hours later
Brief Answer: Uroflowmetry necessary--------------------------- Detailed Answer: Welcome to the forum. This may be due to narrowing of the urethra called urethral stenosis. This commonly occurs in aged women, due to lack of female hormones, but can happen at your age also. Since there is no gross residual urine, there is no need to hurry. If possible, uroflowmetry test needs to be done and if the urine flow is low based on the test, it is better to undergo urethral dilatation under local anesthesia. It is quite manageable and there is no serious cause of concern. truly,
Follow-up: Having urination involuntarily. What should I do? 8 hours later
Hi Doctor, I have already taken two uroflowmetry tests which came out fine every time I took the test. I should note that the stopping and starting of pee does not happen every time I pass urine, something like once a week or twice a week.
Brief Answer: Obstruction unlikely------------------------ Detailed Answer: Welcome back. Since the uroflow test is normal, obstruction is unlikely. If the urinary symptoms persist, you need to be concerned. Truly,