Having urinary tract infection, flu and gastritis. Prescribed with macrobid. What to do?

I have a Urinary tract infection...Very sick like the flu...I also have very bad gastritis....I was given Macrobid today and am supposed to take it again tonight.. XXXXXXX t know what to do
Posted Mon, 28 Oct 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
it can take 24 to 36 hours for improvement

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

An the urinary tract (bladder, urethra, ureter or kidneys).
When the infection extends to the kidneys, the symptoms are more severe and may include generalised weakness, nausea, vomiting, high fever, pain in the loins.

If there is not even minimal improvement of your symptoms within 24 to 36 hours of starting the antibiotic, then your doctor may either want to determine whether the infection has extended to the kidneys or the bacteria is resistant to this particular antibiotic.
It can take this time period (24 to 36 hours) for there to be any slight changes in your symptoms, since it was now started, there would not be any changes as yet.

In addition to the use of antibiotics, you need to drink a lot , this would flush the kidneys and bladder.

If your symptoms do not improve even slightly after this time or worsen, you should revisit your doctor.

In terms of the gastritis, macrobid can irritate the stomach in some persons.The symptoms are reduced if it is used on a full stomach.

In addition you can consider the use of medications such as pepcid, prilosec, prevacid or nexium to help with the gastritis.
Avoid any spicy/fatty/fried/ citrus foods and use small meals.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions