Having urinary tract infection during pregnancy. Asked to take Cefadroxil. Is it a safe medication? Is glucose tolerance test necessary during pregnancy?

Hi Doctor,

My wife has 10 weeks pregnancy. I have two question to ask:
1. In my wife's urine test reports, Epithelial cells count is 20-25/hpf. Her gyni doctor said that its urine infection. And it can even cause miscarriage if not treated. Is this really dangerous? She has asked her to take Cefadroxil 500 tablets. Should she take these tablets? Please let me know, as she is worried about this.
2. My wife has take already a blood sugar test, and that was fine. She is consulting to a new doctor, and Doctor is saying that a new test of Blood Sugar is needed, after taking 75 grams of glucose.
is this new test necessary? please let me know.

+00 0000
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 1 hour later

Thanks for posting your query. I can appreciate your concern for your wife and your child.

The presence of only epithelial cells does not indicate a urethra and/or vagina during the passage of urine. To diagnose this infection, pus cells should also be present in the urine. It is true that infections can cause serious complications in pregnancy and should be treated properly. Cefadroxyl is category B drug, so it can be used in pregnancy when the condition demands and there is clear benefit of using the drug. You should speak to your wife's gynaecologist about other drugs like amoxicillin or ciprofloxacin which have been proven to be absolutely safe in pregnancy.

It is true that a 50 g oral glucose tolerance test is one of the best ways of picking up a condition called gestational diabetes. However, this is done at 24-28 weeks of pregnancy. Please speak to your wife's gynaecologist about this.
I would like to reassure you that everything would be fine and she will have no have any problems
I hope this answers your query, I will be glad to reply any follow up query that you have.

In case you do not have any further query, please accept the answer.