Ask a Urologist   »  

Having urinary tract infection. Urine culture and analysis test done. What does the report says?

Oct 2013

Hi,im 33 years old and i have urinary tract infection since a month and i got my urine culture and analysis test done. My pus cells : 8-10/HPF ,Epithelial cells :6-8/HPF ,Culture : Klebsiella species,colony count :7500 cfuu/ml and interpretation is Significant bacteriuria. What does this mean?
Posted Sun, 10 Nov 2013 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Namala Bharadwaj 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
You have Klebeshiella (A type of bacteria) infection in urinary tract

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for your query at XXXXXXX

I understand your concern.

Generally urinary tract infection is diagnosed based on the urinary culture report.
But several criteria are taken in to consideration for prompt identification and management of the infection.
one simplified criteria is as follows:
A ) The most accurate method to measure pyuria is counting leukocytes ( pus cells) greater than 10 white blood cells considered abnormal.
levels of pyuria as low as 2-5 WBCs/hpf in a centrifuged specimen are important in females with appropriate symptoms
B ) as per previous guide lines significant bacteriuria is if colony count more than 10,000 but symptomatic infections, the lower colony rate of greater than 1000 CFU/mL is now accepted for significant bacteriuria.

Symptoms here include:
1 Frequency of micturition by day and night
2 Painful voiding (dysuria)
3 Suprapubic pain and tenderness
4 Haematuria.
5 Smelly urine.
So as per criteria you have symptomatic female with significant pus cells and significant bacteruria (because counts are more than 1000).
It indicates that you are suffering from klebeshella infection in urinary tract.
For medication you can discuss with your doctor and take medication accordingly.

If you have any query you can ask me in follow up question.
Or direct question at