Ask a Urologist   »  

Having urinary tract infection. Blisters in vulva after using Bactrim. History of sinus and yeast infection. Suggestions?

I am in XXXXXXX and have first had a sinus infection, resolved with amoxicillian. I then developed what I thought was a yeast infection that I treated with topical cream. >It progressed into a UTI, with burning on urination. I started Bactrim but have developed blisters on my vulva. Suggestions?
Posted Tue, 1 May 2012 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Mohammed Tauseef 40 minutes later

Thank you for posting your query.

Blistering of skin is one of the side effects of Bactrim. Your History also suggests, you have developed vulvitis along with UTI. Vulvitis is an inflammation of the vulva and in your case, it could be to local external irritant, allergy or infection.

I would like to know whether you got yourself examined and obtained a opinion from your doctor before using those medicines?

My suggestion to you would be to stop using Bactrim until further orders from your Doctor. Get yourself examined by a proficient Gynecologist, so that he/she may examine you comprehensively and confirm it by doing a battery of tests that may include,

- Bloodwork.
- Urinalysis.
- Urine culture.
- PAP smears.

Once the cause is confirmed, your treatment will be formulated accordingly. Don't forget to tell him/her about your UTI problem as well because you may need antibiotics for both the conditions.

Drink plenty of water, avoid stress, eat healthy nutritious balanced diet which should include fresh fruits and XXXXXXX leafy vegetables, maintain proper hygiene. Do Remember that, vulva should be kept clean and dry always, wipe it clean from front to back after using bathroom. Stick to your treatment plan and go for regular follow up until you are cleared off your Infections.

Hope, I have answered your query. Please accept my answer in case you have no further queries.

Dr. Mohammed Tauseef.