Having upper respiratory infection. Does the heart rate go up during an infection?

Hi, does the heart rate go up when sick? I'm trying to sleep and my heart rate is 98 bpm. I went to the doctor yesterday and have an upper respiratory infection.
Posted Mon, 21 May 2012 in Heart Rate and Rhythm Disorders
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 20 minutes later

A normal adult's pulse can be anywhere from 60 to 100 beats per minute. Anything over 100 is technically defined as a tachycardia. If you are having a pulse of 98, it does not come under tachycardia.

Moreover a high pulse rate is common in acute infectious illnesses such as pneumonia, upper respiratory tract infections (URI) or stress, anxiety, after a large meal, exercise, anemia, intake of excess tea or coffee or in women, menstruation and pregnancy can precipitate such episodes.

There is nothing to worry as the heart rate should come back to normal once the URI subsides. For URI, apart from the prescribed medicines, also inhale steam and suck throat lozenges.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Please accept my answer in case you have no follow up query.