Having upper back to thoracic region pain. Experiencing radiating parasthesia. MRI showed mild degenrative changes. Guide?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I have been having sharp pain in my upper back, right side, for 8 weeks, upper to mid thoracic region between bottom of scapula and thoracic spine. I suspect a golf related injury as I heard a snap while swinging the club. The pain is worse on some days and can be unrelenting. I have also been experiencing some radiatiating paresthesia to the chest area. I am very concerned about CA as I have a Hx of 1/4-1/2 ppd x 26 yrs. CXR was normal and MR showed mild degenerative changes???
Posted Sun, 11 Aug 2013 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 7 hours later
The pain in the back that you have described is likely to be due to a muscle sprain or tear or a degenerative disc disease with a mild nerve root compression.
This is not likely to be related to a cardiac or a lung related cause.
In most of the cases, the pain improves on taking a combination of pain killer with a strong muscle relaxant. You can get the appropriate combination prescribed from your orthopedician.
The following measures will help with the pain
• Lie on a hard bed.
• Anti -inflammatory drugs like Tablet Motrin 1 tablet as and when required ( do not repeat a dose before 6 hours) with food will help relieve the pain.
• Correct your posture while sitting
• Avoid prolonged sitting
• Avoid strenuous activity & lifting heavy weights.
• Apply diclofenac gel on the affected area. Warm compresses will also help.
Taking methylcobalamin supplements will help in decreasing paresthesias.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.