Having upper back pain between shoulder blades. Hurting to breathe. Done with many tests. Suggest the treatment?

Gastroenterologist
Question
My niece gets upper back pain between her shoulder blades when she eats bread, and then it hurts to breathe. After she drinks some fluids, she says that it feels like it is traveling down her back and then disappears. She has had many tests done with negative results.
Posted Sat, 31 Aug 2013 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 3 hours later

I am Dr.Ratnakar Kini and I am pleased to assist you. Before commenting on this query, I would like to know what all tests is done on her and what medication is she on now. I would be able to formulate / address this concern based on the reports and medications.

Awaiting your reply...

Dr.Ratnakar Kini

Follow-up: Having upper back pain between shoulder blades. Hurting to breathe. Done with many tests. Suggest the treatment? 20 hours later
She has had the following tests:

back x-ray without any problems

blood test for celiacs-negative

allergy scratch test:
positive results for

barley, buckwheat, rice, rye, wheat, strawberry, cucumber, soybean, mustard, parsley, pistachio, almond, cashew, hazelnut, pecan, sunflower oil, sesame oil, coffee, malt, mushroom, flax

Thank you

XXXX

Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 24 hours later
Hi XXXX,
Thanks for providing the additional information.

The symptoms you have mentioned could be possibly be due to esophagitis. In this condition, the food pipe is inflamed and there will b discomfort while swallowing the food. Esophagitis can occur due to reflux disease, infection or due to taking certain medications.

An upper GI endoscopy may be done for evaluation.

Let me know if I can assist you further.

Dr.Ratnakar Kini

Follow-up: Having upper back pain between shoulder blades. Hurting to breathe. Done with many tests. Suggest the treatment? 11 hours later
Dr. Kini,

Would the esophagitis cause pain in her upper mid back? I know it can cause pain in her chest, but the pain is always in her back. Also, should we try an OTC heartburn type of med? Also, she takes birth control and she just finished up a 6 month treatment of Accutane.

XXXX

Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 18 hours later
Hi XXXX,
Esophagitis does not cause pain in the upper back. But esophagitis can sometimes cause stomach pain that RADIATES to the back. Please observe the difference.
Yes, she can try OTC heartburn medication like prilosec. It can help even if it is a medication overuse.

Dr.Ratnakar Kini