Having upper back pain and chest pain. X-ray and ecg normal. What is causing this?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Jan 2013
Jan 2013

Question
chest and back painOver the past few days I have had upper back pain. Yesterday I had severe chest pains that felt like shooting pains on and off all day. I also felt out of breath going up the stairs. I went to the emergency room and they took an ekg as well as xrays, but no bloodwork. The xray and ekg came back normal. My blood pressure on intake was 143/90, which is high for me. I am 27 years old, 5ft2, and 170 lbs. What possibilities are there for my chest pain and should I see a Specialist? Thank you for responding to my post.
Posted Sun, 20 Jan 2013 in Back Pain

Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 47 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX,
Welcome to XXXXXXX forum.

Let me know the associated symptoms along with chest pain.
Do you have fever/ cough/ sweating?
Do you have breathlessness more during night times?

With normal EKG and chest x XXXXXXX along with your young age, possibility of heart disease and lung disease appears to be least.
On & off chest pain along with backache and breathlessness may be due to viral infection & muscle ache or may be due to muscle sprain.
You should consult with XXXXXXX medicine specialist and should go for thorough check up.
You should take muscle relaxants along with bronchodilators on written prescription.
Hope that helps.
Let me know if I can address any more concerns.
Take care,
Dr. Mayank Bhargava

Follow-up: Having upper back pain and chest pain. X-ray and ecg normal. What is causing this? 8 minutes later
Thank you for your response. I had a temp of 99 when I arrived at the ER yesterday. I have been coughing but not sweating. I have breathlessness only when walking up stairs.

Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 46 minutes later
There may be possibility of viral upper respiratory tract infection along with viral bronchitis.
You should consult with XXXXXXX medicine specialist and should go for check up.
You should take above prescribed medication.
Best regards,
Dr. Mayank Bhargava