Having upper back pain. On valium. Taken hydrocodone. Had displaced shoulder with slight fracture. What can be done?

hi - I am on valium for upper back pain on the left side. It happened after swimming last week. The valium 5 mg at night is not helping. I have even taken hydrocodone . 5 mg & is is not helping. I have a high tolerance for pain meds. Why?? I hope to see my chiropractor tomorrow

Thank you.
Posted Sat, 6 Jul 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Imraan Hussain 54 minutes later

I can feel your concerns, This is basically a muscular spasm due to swimming . As swimming is a tough exercise and muscles especially of the upper back starts aching.

Different people responds differently to the pain killers and other medications depending upon the race and genetic make up.

I recommend you to take diclofanac twice a day for 5 days along with an antacid .
You should also take muscle relaxant like tizanidine.

Do cold massage at the site of pain.

Hope this will be helpful information for your problem.

If you have any other query I would be honored to reply.