Having upper abdominal pain and heartburn. Taking pantaprazole. Safe remedy?

I have been having frequent stomach aches - pain in upper abdomen area and heartburn. 1-2times a week. It comes suddently and lasts for about 30-40 minutes. When this happens I genrally take antacid - sucral, eno. I have been taking pantaprazole daily since over a month. Even that doesn't seem to help much.

Please advise. What could be the cause of pain?
Posted Tue, 5 Feb 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Om Lakhani 1 hour later

Thanks for writing in to WWW.WWWW.WW
I have taken a note of your symptoms. I would suggest you that we do the following tests

1. Ultrasound of abdomen and KUB (fasting)
2. Serum Lipase (blood test)

Also I would like to know the following :

1. Is the pain after meals ?
2. Is there any problems in motions ?

The pain you have described is most probably a colic. The tests are mainly to rule other things out. What you need is some good anti-spasmodic agent (a GP nearby can prescribe it to you, It May be taken with or without food.). I would advise you to take Pantocid-L instead of plain Pantocid and continue it for alteast another month.

Do get back to me with the reports I suggested.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.

Dr. Om Lakhani, MD
Consultant Physician
Former XXXXXXX Registrar, Asian Institute of Gastroenterology, Hyderabad.
Follow-up: Having upper abdominal pain and heartburn. Taking pantaprazole. Safe remedy? 28 hours later
Thank you doctor for the quick response.

Answers to your questions -
1. Is the pain after meals ? NO
2. Is there any problems in motions ? NO

Since pain attacks became too frequent, I consulted a local gantroenterologist close to my home. He said I had slightly enlarged liver and suggested Endoscopy, Liver function test and Lipid profile. All reports have come out normal and blood test results are all within limits. He said I had indigestion issues. enlarged liver could be due to fat deposits as I am slightly overweight.

He suggested the below medicines-
Cintodac (Cinitapride and Pantoprazole) - 30 days, 1 tablet a day
Pruf-p (Flupirtine maleate & paracetamol) - pain killer on demand

Are these medicines safe for a lactating mother?

Do I still need these tests?
2. Serum Lipase (blood test)

Please advise. Thanks.

Answered by Dr. Om Lakhani 15 minutes later

I am sorry but both the components of cintodac are not safe during lactation. I would suggest you to use simple anatacids instead which are safest during lactation. All other acidity medications carry some warning or precautions. I would still advise you to get an Ultrasound done just to rule out something else

I wouldn't worry about the enlarged liver size much. You can try loosing some weight, that helps in most cases.

Hope this helps

Dr. Om