Having typhoid. Under medication. Reports show Salmonella Typhi "O"- positive in 1:80 dilutions. Continue medications?

Infectious Diseases Specialist
I am down with typhoid since last 3 days and I am under medication/injection for that. How many days of rest I should have after this medication? I am 52 and bllod test results on 14.06.13 are: Salmonella Typhi "O"- positive in 1:80 dilutions, Salmonella Typhi "H" positive in 1:40 dilutions, Salmonella Para typhi "A(H)": negative in 1:20 dilutions, Salmonella Para typhi "B(H)": negative in 1:20 dilutions.
Posted Fri, 5 Jul 2013 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Binod Kumar Pati 51 minutes later
Welcome to XXXXXXX
First and foremost thing is the diagnosis of typhoid. The gold standard is Blood culture. Are you culture positive for Salmonella Typhi? The diagnosis by widal test is based on detection of a rising titer of antibody against Salmonella Typhi. It happens only after the first week of disease. Hence you have to repeat the widal test in the second week to demonstrate a rise in antibody titer.

Regarding treatment , the disease usually settle down within 10 days to 2 weeks, provided appropriate therapy is instituted.
Return to work depends on your nature of work. you can start doing milder activities followed by moderate ones with intermittent rest on daily basis.
Continue to drink plenty of water with electrolytes. You will stay active and resume your work earlier.
Hope I am clear. Have any more questions, you are welcome.