Having typhoid. On antibiotics. Is it safe to have sexual intercourse?

Gastroenterologist, Surgical
Question
I am currently suffering from typhoid since last 15 days and on antibiotics treatment.My fever range has reduced considerably from 101-102 to 97-100. Doctor has said i am coming out of the disease though still treatment will go on for full 21 days.I am having the urge to have sex with my wife.Can I have it/Is it safe for me and her?Or can I masturbate?Will she be affected even if i kiss her?
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja 6 hours later
Hi

Thanks for posting your query

It is good to know that you have the urge even after you are suffering from Typhoid

Here are few facts:

You can have sex with your wife it your stamina permits you, because of the illness you may get exhausted

It is not going to harm her or you

You can safely masturbate but again you may get drained physically

No she won't be affected by you kissing her

But under are prevailing situations it is all on your physical fitness that you can have sex with your wife

Hope this helps
Am available for any followup queries
If there are no further doubts, do accept my reply and rate it

Get Well Soon

Follow-up: Having typhoid. On antibiotics. Is it safe to have sexual intercourse? 11 hours later
thanks.i want to know whether typhoid relapses after a year?because i have seen people ssking queries abouy the same and their experiences of relapse.is it a confirmed relapse even after full antibiotics treatment?how do i ensure that now no single typhi bacterium is present in my system.can i get vaccinated after cmplte recovery?

Answered by Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja 5 hours later
Hi

Thanks for posting your followup query

Typhoid is known for relapses but it is not confirmed that you will have a relapse

The conditions in which relapse occurs are limited to ineffective antibiotics and in carriers

A carrier is a person who has no symptoms but still carries the bacteria, he/she can infect people around by contamination

You may go for an Anti Typhi IgG to know if the bacteria is in your body or not, usually the symptoms may persist for 2-4 weeks so once you are afebrile you may wait for 2 weeks and go for the test

Immunization after six weeks of complete recovery will be very safe

Hope this helps
Am available for any followup queries

Get Well Soon

Follow-up: Having typhoid. On antibiotics. Is it safe to have sexual intercourse? 17 hours later
Is it ok to have fluctuating temperatures towards the end of typhoid?for the last 2 days my temp was inthe range of 96-99.now yesterday suddenly three times i recorded 99.1 temp.i usualy take hourly record of temp.so i got depressed as previous two dayd only once it clockef 99.1 and howcome yest it clocked three times 99.1.am i on the ways of again reaching 101-102 range?please advise i am depressed.

Answered by Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja 2 hours later
Hi

Thanks for posting your query

Do no record temp frequently

99 is normal at this stage

You are not going to get 101 again if antibiotics are regular
Hope this helps
Am available for any followup queries

Get Well Soon