Ask a Dentist   »  

Having two upper teeth out of line. Feel pain while eating. Can I remove them?

hi doctor...

i am 25 year old , my last 2 upper teeth is total out of line ,they are newly born . and some times i feel pain in my jaws while eating for long time ...can u suggest me either i can remove those teeth or do nothing
Posted Mon, 8 Jul 2013 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Neha Sumra 2 hours later

Thanks for writing in.

I would like to tell you that wisdom tooth is the last tooth to erupt in the oral cavity, its often tilted, malaligned and impacted in the jaw bone.It erupts around 20 years of age.
This area is difficult to clean and invites bacterial growth leading to redness, inflammation and swelling of the underlying gums known as PERICORONITIS. This leads to symptoms like pain, swelling, and difficulty in mouth opening, fever, and malaise.

Wisdom tooth can be sometimes crooked with sharp cusps causing irritation and ulceration in the cheek mucosa.
I would like to tell you that wisdom tooth has no significant role in mastication and occlusion, so it is better to extract it if it is causing any problem.

I suggest you to visit to an Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon and clinical evaluation done, take an OPG radiograph, No doubt, it is time consuming and complicated surgical procedure and even has postoperative complications, but there is absolutely no harm in extraction of wisdom tooth by a qualified doctor.

Meanwhile you can do symptomatic treatment at home by maintaining good oral hygiene, using lukewarm saline gargles, antiseptic mouthwash rinses twice daily.

Hope I answered your query.

Take Care
Dr.Neha Sumra