Having twitching sensation on inner calf and and pain on knee. Taking medicine. Anxiety related?

Question
Last week While resting I noticed a twitch on my inner leg calf/shin I have had this before on occasion but it has been months. Anyway it freaked me out and got my Anxiety going (I do take Xanax as needed) throughout the week I have had a dull ache mainly in my XXXXXXX but can go up to my knee and down to my ankle. It is just uncomfortable. As I researched the twitching ALS came up which made me really freak. They don't occur all day and really happen more when I think about them or "try" not to think about them. Anyways I went to the Dr ( not my normal one but another in the practice) and he felt my leg and pushed on it and prescribed an anti-inflammatory. I asked again about the twitching and told him my fears and all he said was he didn't think it was ALS or MS and that twitching can happen. But I am still scared the twitching in leg has happened less only like once today but at times the past few days I question my speech and strength in all limbs . Could this be all anxiety and should I trust the DR?
Posted Tue, 2 Apr 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 2 hours later
hi and thanks for the query,
Twitches in Amyotrophic Lateral sclerosis or Multiple Sclerosis are usually permanent, frequent and usually accompanied by other symptoms, and appear late in the course of the disease. I do not think this is the case with you. It is certainly NOT ALS nor MS.
What you describe look more like solitary fasciculations, which are periodic unprovoked contractions seen in some people. This could be due to electrolyte imbalances such as lack of Calcium, Magnesium and Potasium.
I do not think you need to bother. But if symptom persists, becomes too frequent or becomes painful, you might need to consult a neurologist. For now, never mind.
Best regards,
Luchuo, MD.

Follow-up: Having twitching sensation on inner calf and and pain on knee. Taking medicine. Anxiety related? 23 minutes later
Thank you for the fast reply. This Dr kinda blew me off and acted like I was crazy for thinking such things and with my anxiety I just over think it all and then think the worse and start thinking I am having other symptoms. So I greatly appreciate you time and words. They twitches have subsided alot today. Is there some good vitamins you recommend?

Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 5 minutes later
Hi and thanks for your query,
you do not need vitamins. Your normal diet XXXXXXX in vegetables and fruits is ok. If there is any increase in intensity or pain, you might just need to see a neurologist. Do not bother about vitamins.
Thanks and best regards,
Luchuo, MD.

Follow-up: Having twitching sensation on inner calf and and pain on knee. Taking medicine. Anxiety related? 1 hour later
ok I was just asking since you said could mean a not enough Calcium, Magnesium, and potassium so I just thought I would ask. But you don't really believe there is a need to see a neurologist and that it is nothing to worry about as my Dr said?

Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 17 minutes later
Hi and thanks for the query,
for now, I think its really nothing.
You will, in my opinion, only need to see a neurologist if symptoms worsen. For now, its ok and be calm.
Thanks and best regards,
Luchuo, MD>