Having trouble while sleeping at night, feeling restless and swollen ankle. Which disease I am suffering from?

I am 5ft and I weigh 240 lbs, I'm also a female. What diseases am I at risk for? I also find that from time to time my ankles swell up, and I have trouble sleeping at night due to feeling restless.
Posted Sat, 18 Aug 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Ashwini Kolur 2 hours later

I will try my best to provide you with best possible professional recommendations to your questions.

When you calculate you body mass index (BMI) it is over 40 (Obese Class 3 : Morbid Obesity) and With a BMI of 40+ you have an extremely high risk of weight-related disease.

There are large number of obesity related diseases like diabetes, hypertension. Overweight and obese people have an increased incidence of heart disease, and thus fall victim to heart attack, congestive heart failure, angina, and abnormal heart rhythm more often than those that maintain a healthy body mass index. Also Polycystic Ovary Syndrome and reproductive hormonal abnormalities, sexual dysfunction, and infertility, dyslipidemia, etc.

Our body weight is determined by the amount of energy that we take in as food and the amount of energy we expend in the activities of our day.

If your weight remains constant, you are probably taking in the same amount of calories that you burn each day. If you're slowly gaining weight over time, it is likely that your caloric intake is greater than the number of calories you burn through your daily activities.

The most effective method for weight loss is reducing the number of calories you consume while increasing the number of calories you burn through physical activity.

I advice you to see dietitian for proper diet planning and regular exercises is must for you.

Yet again, I do hope that you have found something helpful and I will be glad to answer any further query.

Hope i have cleared your queries. If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer