Having trouble sleeping, under stress, have lost muscle mass and strength. Suggest?

Nov 2013

in the last 2 months I have been having trouble sleeping and have been under much stress / anxiety. I am an avid weight lifter and have lost muscle mass and about 10 lbs in the last 2 months. I went to the gym today and found I have very little strength in my right chest muscle. I was able to push up a 50 lb dumbell with my left arm easily but couldnt lift it up with my right arm at all. There is no difference in size between the left and right arm / chest. The arm strength is the same in both arms as I did dumbell curls afterward with both arms and had no problem. Would you know what would cause rapid strength decrease in the right chest muscle and no where else?
Posted Sat, 12 Oct 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Could be a nerve weakness

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for posting your query.

Chest muscles are called pectoral muscles, and are supplied by pectoral nerves, medial and lateral (two nerves in all). These nerves arise from the brachial plexus, from which other nerves for arm, forearm and fingers also arise.

Sudden onset weakness of muscle without thinning of muscle could be due to nerve involvement. Thus, in turn, could occur due to neuropraxia (pressure on the nerve), a viral infection, or injury.

Investigations that could help in confirmation include MRI scan of cervical spine and brachial plexus; and nerve conduction studies.

I hope it helps. Please get back if you have any more queries.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist
Follow-up: Having trouble sleeping, under stress, have lost muscle mass and strength. Suggest? 10 hours later
Also when I am in the seated position and I put my head down I get a buzzing in my right hand. Is this also part of the condition?
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 2 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Could be related to the same condition

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for getting back.

The nerves to the hand arises from the neck region, so, head movements downwards, could cause a buzzing sound in the right hand.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)