Having trouble sleeping. Taking temazepam which worked for while. Suggestion?

Dec 2014

I am having trouble sleeping for more than an hour at a time...I have tried aero quell, lunes tea and am currently taking temazepam which worked for a while, but no more...any suggestions?
Posted Wed, 7 Aug 2013 in Sleep Disorders
Answered by Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi 36 minutes later
Welcome to XXXXXXX

Troubled sleep may be due to many reasons and poor sleep hygiene is one of main reason for poor sleep. So before going to main line treatment I would like to tell you about sleep hygiene.

Fix time to go to bed and avoid late night awakening.
Use your bedroom for sleeping only and don't make it work place.
Avoid use of laptop from bed.
Dont read while sitting on bed.
If you are not able to get proper sleep in 10-15 minutes of going to bed, get up and try to divert your attention.
If possible change the position of bed, it will help to avoid conditioned insomnia.
Avoid day time naps.
Avoid tea, coffee, carbonated drinks, chocolates and alcohol in evening.
If possible take a glass of lukewarm milk.
Dont think about sleep again and again.

Try to follow these points and you will see improvement.

Now you are not getting enough relief with temazepam so try to taper its doses slowly and stop taking it.

There are other options available like Zolpidem, Zopiclone which are comparatively less addicting and are very useful for early insomnias.

Other drugs like mirtazepine can also be taken with proper consultation of a Psychiatrist and the drug will help in improving sleep as well as it will also help in treating depressive and anxiety symptoms associated with insomnia.

Hope I cleared your doubt, if you have more questions you can ask again in follow up.