Having trouble passing urine, coming as milky brown. Taking antibiotics for diverticulitis. Fecal matter in urine?

I have been on antibiotics for acute diverticulitis, with the course finishing two days ago. However, for the last two days I have has trouble passing urine, and today it is coming out milky brown. I have read that fistulas can form - is this coloring an indication that fecal matter is in my urine? I have an appointment with my gp on Monday but wonder whether this is an emergency or just a urinary infection?
Posted Wed, 19 Jun 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 1 hour later
Hi, thanks for using healthcare magic

Diverticular disease can be associated with different possible complications. One of these is fistula formation, the most common fistula is the colovesical which is a connection between the colon and the bladder. Acute diverticulitis is actually the most common reason for this type of fistula.

It can present with discomfort on urination, air on urination (called pneumaturia), appearance of stool in the urine (fecaluria). Some persons may also have pain in the abdomen, fever, blood in the urine (hematuria).It is diagnosed based on history, examination and also investigations such as barium enema which would show the XXXXXXX passing into the bladder.

Urinary tract infections would normally present with burning on urination, urgency to urinate, frequency, abdominal pain. It should not be associated with urine that has a milky consistency.In some cases of urinary tract infection if there is a small amount of blood present the urine can look slightly cloudy and not red.

IN light of the fact that you are currently being treated for acute diverticulitis , it may be best to seek medical attention prior to this visit.
At this time your doctor will examine a sample of your urine , perform a dipstick at the office and possibly send some to the lab.

If a fistula is present, you would be referred to a general surgeon.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any additional questions