Having trouble in erection of penis. Help?

Psychiatrist
Question
Dear sir, I am 29 years old. Even after one year of married life I feel I do not have a strong penis to have sex with my wife. Please advise
Posted Sun, 9 Jun 2013 in Mental Health

Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 13 hours later

I appreciate your efforts for medical consultation in so much distress.

Erectile ka problem psychological or physical problem ki vajah se ho sakta hai, jiska pahchanana treatment ke liye jaruri hai.
Psychological causes: Most common cause in young patients like you. These include performance anxiety, emotional weakness, inferiority complex, stress, marital or relationship problems, low mood, feelings of guilt, and the effects of a past sexual and emotional trauma. Men with psychological problem usually have normal nocturnal erections and erections upon awakening, whereas men with physical problem often do not.

Physical causes: Include neurological disorders, alcoholism, drug abuse, hormonal imbalances, diabetes, hypertension, blood vessel disease and chronic diseases.

You are 29 years of age and at this age, difficulty in getting or maintain an erection is due to psychological reasons in most of the cases. I hope you are not taking any alcohol or smoking as sometimes these can also cause erectile dysfunction.

I will describe some simple measures which you can incorporate and these should help you:
-First of all, quit smoking and alcohol (if you are taking any)
-Jyada chinta XXXXXXX band XXXXXXX do or relax karo.
-Eat a healthy diet: fruits, nuts, milk and eggs
-Have faith in yourself and do not take any stress. You can talk to your partner openly and indulge in plenty of foreplay before sex. As you will worry, your problem will increase further. You can also plan to some short vacation for honeymoon, which will relieve your stress.
-Exercise, particularly aerobic exercise (like: Jogging, skipping and cycling) daily. It will increase blood flow all over body and will reduce stress.
-The commonly prescribed drug by the doctors is sildenafil (Viagra) or Tadalafil (Megalis), which causes erections to be stronger and long lasting, but should be taken after prescription. It is important to rule out medical conditions specially related to cardiovascular system before starting such treatment. Both of these medicines have excellent result in physical causes of erectile dysfunction.

There is also need to rule out certain medical conditions which can affect erection. These include diabetes, high blood pressure, heart or thyroid conditions, poor circulation, penile venous incompetency and neurological causes. For that comprehensive evaluation and tests, help of other specialist may also needed.

Apart from that in person evaluation and examination by psychiatrist may be necessary in your case to identify and treat psychological cause of ED, specially sexual anxiety.

First follow steps mentioned by me for 1 month, if there is no change, it is better to get evaluated and investigated by physician and psychiatrist to rule out above conditions.

I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. In case of any doubt, I will be available for follow ups.

Wish you good health.

Follow-up: Having trouble in erection of penis. Help? 29 minutes later
I am already use first step from last two months. It's n't helpful for my problem. I do not have any physical defect like diabetes, high blood pressure, heart or thyroid conditions, poor circulation, penile venous incompetency and neurological causes.

pls suggest some medical advise and It is no side effect for my health and
How long can this medicine to use and how.

Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 35 minutes later
Hello XXXXXXX
Thanks for follow up.

ED is one of the difficult problem to treat, if not diagnosed properly. If you have already done test for: diabetes, high blood pressure, heart or thyroid conditions, poor circulation, penile venous incompetency and neurological causes, then you can write test finding or upload reports for interpretation.

You can start multivitamins. On demand basis for erection sildenafil (Viagra) or Tadalafil (Megalis) is helpful, which causes erections to be stronger and long lasting, but it should be taken after prescription.

Wish you good health.
Regards.