Having trouble breathing, cannot expand diaphragm. History of depression and anxiety, taking cipralex and bronazepam. Suggest?

Apr 2013

General Surgeon
I am having trouble breathing. It feels as if I can't expand my diaphragm to the point where I can "catch" my breath. I almost feels as if I am yawning, but cannot "complete" the yawn. I am a relatively healthy 42 year old non-smoking female. I do have a history of depression and anxiety and am currently taking 40 mg of cipralex and 3 mg of bronazepam daily
Posted Sun, 22 Sep 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 32 minutes later
Brief Answer:
other causes should be ruled out.

Detailed Answer:
Hi and welcome to XXXXXXX
Considering your medical history,anxiety is the first thing to think of but other pathological causes should not be underestimated. In first case I mean hiatus hernia where bloated and dispositioned stomach presses diaphragm and restrict breathing. intraabdominal fluid, tumors,enlarged liver or spleen may do the same. So I suggest to do at least abdominal ultrasound and chest xray. It will rule out these causes and then you can focus on treatment of your anxiety and depression. Wish you good health.feel free to ask. Regards