Having travellers diarrhea. Took Loperamide. Cramping in stomach. Need antibiotics?

Excellent

Gastroenterologist, Surgical
Question
Travellers diarrhea! I am with my husband on a long planned overseas holiday from new Zealand. We are in Rome. 3 days ago I had sudden and violent diarrhea. I understand that it is better to let nature take it course,so the first day I slept and went to the toilet. Yesterday I still had the diarrhea but it was much less. I ate some plain pizza bread and banana. No diarrhea over night again but I still have it today. I took some loperamide this morning. Just 2 caps. And have had another bout. Today I am feeling listless, tho not dehydrated, so probably that is also because I am not eating as usual. Slight cramping in stomach, but not nearly as bad as the first day. Tomorrow we have to fly to Edinburg. A full day with transfers. I have some antibiotics with me. Would they help?? What do you recommend. How long could this go on?? And it's spoiling our holiday!!
Posted Thu, 12 Jul 2012 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja 36 minutes later
Hi

Thanks for posting your query

Travellers Diarrhea is usually due to contaminated meals and liquids

Loperamide is antidiarrheal but not a GI antibiotic so it may stop frequency but will not control infection

If you have Rifaximin with you it should work and the best will be adding a Probiotic along with

Take lot of fluids orally and if you have access to Oral Rehydration Solution - it would control your listlessness

Hope this helps
Am available for followup queries
Wishing you Good Health Ahead

Follow-up: Having travellers diarrhea. Took Loperamide. Cramping in stomach. Need antibiotics? 2 minutes later
I have doxycycline with me. Would this be alright.

Answered by Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja 3 minutes later
Hi
Thanks for your followup
Unfortunately not much
Tetracyclines are not very helpful in these conditions
Try for any quinolone like, ofloxacillin or norfloxacillin
Hope this helps
Am available for followup queries
Wishing you Good Health Ahead