Ask a Urologist   »  

Having trace for both occult blood and leukocthe esrerrase on urine test. What does it mean?

Nephrologist
Question
What does it mean when I have trace for both occult blood and leukocthe esrerrase on my urine test?
Posted Wed, 18 Sep 2013 in Urinary and Bladder Problems

Answered by Dr. Aditya Bhabhe 15 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Rule out infection

Detailed Answer:
Hi there

Did you have any symptoms when the urine test was done? Specifically did you have lower abdominal pain, increased frequency of urination or burning sensation when you pee?

Occult blood indicates that there are red blood cells (RBC) in the urine. A positive leucocyte esterase is an indicator of the presence of pus cells in the urine. These two tests are positive together in the presence of a UTI).

So you could get a urine culture done to see if you have a UTI.

If you have no symptoms then antibiotics might not be needed but this will be at the discretion of the physician to whom you show these reports.

Mean while drink plenty of fluids as this will help to flush out any bacteria in the bladder.

Hope this helps
Good luck.

Follow-up: Having trace for both occult blood and leukocthe esrerrase on urine test. What does it mean? 0 minute later
What if anything am I to do about urinalysis report when trace is found in both Ocullt blood and Leukocyte esterse?

Answered by Dr. Aditya Bhabhe 7 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Rule out infection

Detailed Answer:
Hi Again

As I said before get a urine culture test done to rule out UTI.

If the culture is positive for bacteria then see a physician who can prescribe appropriate antibiotics.
If the culture has no growth, then no further action is needed.
Drink plenty of fluids and keep yourself well hydrated.

Dr Aditya Bhabhe

Follow-up: Having trace for both occult blood and leukocthe esrerrase on urine test. What does it mean? 15 hours later
Thank you,

Answered by Dr. Aditya Bhabhe 10 hours later
Brief Answer:
Glad to be of help

Detailed Answer:
Hi

I am glad that I could help you out.

Good luck

Aditya