Ask a Dentist   »  

Having tongue fibroid. Feeling difficulty in breathing. Guide?

Oral (tongue fibroid) surgery. The ENT said it was nothing (very small) but I want it removed
1. (cut out or laser removal is the question?)
2. (Or is there another way to shrink it?).
The more swelling I have the move closterphobia I will have from breathing / swelling difficulty. . So is it better to cut it out or laser remove it? What would you do or suggest? The fibroid is a little larger than a bee bee and lifts up and is hard.
3. The most difficulty according to the Oral Surgeon is surrendering the tongue. But I think (2) stiches will produce more swelling than laser removal.
4. I also produce excess saliva from Parkinson's Disease which causes me to choke if I don't swollow frequently or lay my head to the side like I do when I sleep.
Posted Wed, 12 Jun 2013 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Anshumala Singh 43 minutes later
Dear friend,
Thanks for sharing your concern.

Tongue fibroid is a localized tumor.
It can be left as it is, but must be removed if it is symptomatic.

The initial modality of treatment is intralesional steroid.
It is given once in three weeks.

If it does not heal within three months, you can go for surgery.

Surgery is better than LASER, as LASER creates more scaring and can aggravate the condition.

Let me know if you have any other doubts.

Thank you