Having tingling sensation in penis. Had urine infection and got treated with antibiotics. Had protected sex. HIV test negative. Remedy?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Mar 2013
Mar 2013
Question
I need advice please. A month ago I had protected sex with prostitute and she also give me oral pleasure, which was unprotected. I’ve done blood tests including HIV, STD, they were normal, however Urine test came with infection so I was prescribed with 7 days of antibiotics course, which I’ve completed almost a week ago, however I am feeling tingling sensation in my penis, actually tip of the penis. This tingling is almost constants, every few minutes or hrs continued. My doctor thinks there is nothing to worry about because I have no ulcers or sores, no liquid coming out, and nothing visible on penis, just this tingling sensation. I still feel that I might have infection in my body otherwise why should I feel tingling sensation continued? What should I do ? what should I tell my GP so that she is convinced with my complaint? Any tests should I tell her to do further? Any hint for me please? Any suggestions? Thanks !
Posted Wed, 26 Jun 2013 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 29 minutes later
Hello
I guess just a month is not enough for STD testing.
I would ask you to repeat them a month later.
Regarding tingling in the penis, More than just annoying, it may signal infection, inflammation and systemic disease. Tingling is often a sign of troubled nerve endings, irritated by inflammation, starved of nutrients, or damaged by trauma. For some men it is acute and may only last a few hours to a few days, and for other men it is a mysterious ailment that can go on for years. Diagnosis and treatment should be sought out immediately, to avoid chronic damage to the nerves and a loss of function.

Tingling in the penis may be caused by an acute or chronic case of poor circulation. While that might not sound terribly serious in nature, it is the cause of the poor circulation that determines how much a man should worry. Heart disease is one of the leading causes of death in men around the globe. Poor circulation to the hands, feet and pelvic region may be one of the first signs of cardiovascular disease to appear. Poor posture, obesity, diabetes, sedentary lifestyle and damage to the local capillaries in the penile tissues can also lead to reduced blood flow. In order to ensure a healthy stream of blood around the body, it is important to drink plenty of water, exercise 2-3 times per week, reduce white sugar and saturated fat in the diet, and consider using heart-healthy supplements such as garlic, hawthorn, fish oils, vitamin C, E and L-arginine.

Nerve damage can occur through a variety of ways, and is highly detrimental to the sexual health of men as nerves do not regenerate easily once damaged. Physical trauma to local nerves and/or spinal nerves, poor blood flow, inflammation and infection can all lead to nerve damage, resulting in tingling, pain, numbness, or burning. Diabetes is a common cause of nerve damage in both men and women, as the high level of sugar in the blood stream reduces circulation and oxygenation of peripheral tissues. Stimulating circulation may help, but controlling blood sugars is vital to restoring sexual health. Alpha-lipoic acid, an antioxidant researched for its health benefits in diabetes, may restore some lost nerve function and protect nerve health in diabetics. Frequent or aggressive masturbation can also cause circulatory issues and nerve damage.

Sexual transmitted diseases and infections are one of the leading causes of penile tingling. If a man has recently had unprotected sex, and is now experiencing tingling in the penis, it is likely that he has contracted an infection. Genital warts, Candida, Chlamydia, gonorrhea and trichomonas are some of the most common pathogens responsible for causing this distressing symptom. In addition, non-specific urethritis is another possible diagnosis involving chronic inflammation of the urethra. Blood and urine tests will identify the source of the infection in most cases.
You should repeat STD testing after a month just to doubly confirm .

Please seek an appointment with your GP for appropriate referral to a specialist.
Regarding convincing her, it is enough to report persistent tingling of the penis in light of recent exposure.

Take care. And be well.