Having tingling sensation in face, arm and lower leg. Worried for motor neuron disease

Nov 2013

for the last 10 days i havhad tingling inmy face arms (wrist and hands) and lower legs (calves and feet). It is always on bothsides and from what i can tell a mirror image. Sometimes the symptoms come and go but always on both sides. I find walking stops the symptoms in my arms and legs andmostly in my face. In the last 2 days i have noticed a small intermitent twich in my right calf and sometimes it is in my thigh. I am REALLY scared it is ms or mnd. I have an mri booked in 4 days. Any ideas?
Posted Thu, 14 Mar 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 1 hour later

Thank you for posting your query.

The symptoms described by you are mostly sensory in nature (such as tingling). So, I can reassure you that you do not have weakness, thinning of muscles, muscle twitchings, etc. Sensory symptoms are not seen in MND.

Regarding the exact cause behind your symptoms, it needs to be evaluated. The problem can be in peripheral nerves, spinal cord or brain.

However, since the symptoms are intermittent, the chances of you having MS (multiple sclerosis) are also low. In MS, the symptoms should last continously for at least 24 hours, to be classified as an episode of MS.

In addition to MRI, nerve conduction studies (NCV), vitamin B12 level in blood, thyroid profile and XXXXXXX profile (both blood tests) may also be helpful in determining the cause.

I hope it helps. Please get back if you have any more queries.

Wishing you good health,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist