Having tingling sensation from elbows to hand and from knee to foot, pain around upper spine. Any solution?

Cardiologist
Question
Tingling going from elbows to hand and sometimes from knee to bottom of foot? Have some pain around the same area around my upper spine?
Posted Fri, 10 Aug 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Anil Grover 4 hours later
Hi there,
Thanks for writing in.
I am a medical specialist with an additional degree in cardiology. I read your question with diligence.
Tingling from elbow to hand and also from knee to foot suggest irritation or partial compression of two different nerves. This along with pain in spine suggests that nerves are irritated by bony concretions which occur with wear and tear of spine leading to osteoarthritis of cervical spine and lumbar spine. Nerves get irritated while entering to merge with spinal cord, it is common in cervical spine in a condition called cervical spondylosis.
Involvement of two separate nerves at the same time can suggest some systemic illness leading to peripheral neuropathy therefore, one must consult the doctor and get the causes excluded. There is whole list of causes beginning with Diabetes first.
One more condition that has to be kept in mind is MONONEURITIS MULTIPLEX

Mononeuritis multiplex is a form of damage to one or more peripheral nerves -- the nerves outside the brain and spinal cord. It is a group of symptoms (syndrome), not a disease.

However, certain diseases can cause the injury or nerve damage that leads to the symptoms of mononeuritis multiplex. Common conditions include:
•Blood vessel diseases such as polyarteritis nodosa

Connective tissue diseases such as rheumatoid arthritis or cryoglobulinemia)

•Infections such as Lyme disease

•Leprosy

•Sarcoidosis

•Sjogren syndrome

•Wegener's granulomatosis

Therefore, I will urge to see the doctor as and when you get appointment. A full physical ans systemic examination shall be done. Suitable investigations will be ordered. Good Luck. If there are any more question I will be happy to answer that.
With Best Wishes

Dr Anil Grover,
Cardiologist
M.B.;B.S, M.D. (Internal Medicine) D.M.(Cardiology)
http://www/ WWW.WWWW.WW

Follow-up: Having tingling sensation from elbows to hand and from knee to foot, pain around upper spine. Any solution? 25 hours later
I also have tension in my shoulders off and on, and have stress/anxiety issues.

Answered by Dr. Anil Grover 50 minutes later

Good to get a reply from you.

You had written about areas innervated by specific nerves. Unless the doector gives that he could find nothing I am not prepared to attribute everything to Stress and anxiety. Yes, anxiety can aggravate a symptom manifold. This is a call the physician who examines you to take.

If that be so, I will suggest some yogic exercises ho you which will help a lot.

Dr Anil Grover,
Cardiologist
http://www/ WWW.WWWW.WW