Having tingling in legs and burning sensation in lower back. Have intermittent numbness in soles of feet. Suggest?

General Surgeon
I've had mono for the last 8 weeks. 1 week after symptoms started, I started having tingling in my legs and a burning sensation low in my back (sacral area) and hips. These symptoms have progressed, and now I have more intense burning in my lower back and hips (sit bones) to the point that its difficult to sit, intermittent numbness in the soles of my feet, and burning at the tops of my feet. Is this mono related and how long will this last?
Posted Sat, 3 Aug 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 1 hour later

Thank you for the query.

Yes, it can be related to mono infection. This virus (EBV) can infect nervous system causing complications like nerve inflammation, meningitis, hemiplegia or Guillain-Barré syndrome. This conditions needs to be ruled out by a neurologist (it will be very hard to diagnose it here).

Other possible reason of your symptoms (unrelated to mono infection) is spine disc herniation or nerve compression. Due to compression, the pain can radiate along the nerve to the foot.

I suggest you to visit neurologist and have physical examination first. Spine puncture might be necessary. If mono complication will be ruled out, spine MRI should be the next step.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.