Having tingling fingers. Suggest the cure?

tinging fingers
Posted Fri, 25 Oct 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Prasad 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Observe for short period before investigation...

Detailed Answer:

Tingling sensation is a feature of neuropathy. Unfortunately the cause of neuropathy are numerous and needs to be investigated based on detailed history. I usually advise my patients to wait and observe before opting to investigate further. You need immediate medical attention if the tingling is associated with severe pain, weakness, speech difficulties, altered consciousness or other neurological symptoms.

In the interim, provide me the following details to help me narrow down the possibilities:
1. Do you have the tingles on both sides?
2. Do you feel it better now compared to what it was 3 hours later?
3. Do you have neck problems / wrist problems - pain / injuries?
4. Do you have history of diabetes / thyroid problems?
5. Are you able to grip normally?
6. Are you employed currently - if yes may I know the type of occupation?
7. Do you drink alcohol / smoke - if yes may I know since when and how much?
8. Lastly I would like to know the type of diet you consume - vegetarian / non vegetarian?

Awaiting your response...

Follow-up: Having tingling fingers. Suggest the cure? 4 hours later
1yes 2yes 5 normal all other no
Answered by Dr. Prasad 31 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Do not be concerned...

Detailed Answer:

If you are better now, then you need not be concerned. Tingles should gradually disappear. I would start vitamin b12 supplements which have myelinating properties (nerve protecting property) for speedy recovery.

I usually do not bother my patients with investigation if this a bilateral short lasting symptoms. But yes, if you seem to notice odd symptoms again, I would order blood sugar, serum vitamin assay (vitamin B12 and Vitamin D), calcium and thyroid function tests before considering higher order radiological tests.

In brief, you don't seem to harbor a sinister medical condition. Take Vitamin B12 supplement which is available over the counter - one pill a day for couple of weeks. And wait and observe...

I hope this helps you. Let me know if you need clarifications.

If you feel I have answered all your questions, then please close this discussion.