Having tingling and numbness in upper leg. How do I discontinue tramadol?

how do i ween myself off tramadol? I have been taking it for 4 years for numbness and tingling in my upper leg.
Posted Sun, 7 Jul 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 23 minutes later
Dear madam,

Thank you for posting your query on XXXXXXX

Tramadol is a frequently misused opioid for pain and other symptoms . People often develop psychological and physical dependence on this drug .well you mentioned the duration of 4 years since which you are taking this drug which is a long period enough to develop a dependence.

Well weaning yourself from this drug requires multimodal approach .

First you should consult a rehab centre and an expert physician trained in this regard.

Regarding medical therapy no concrete guidelines are there but benzodiazepines , clonidine etc. are used in low doses to treat this condition.

The treatment is generally individualised according to patients needs. physical therapy, biofeedback therapy, hypnotherapy are all other non interventional treatments that can be tried.

It is a treatment that requires your willpower to leave the drug and full cooperation.

Hope this suffices.

Dr. Shruti