Having tightness in throat from sinus infection. Prescribed antiobotics and prednisone. Suggestions?

ENT Specialist
Question
i am having tightness in my throat from a sinus infection, doctors have prescribed me with sinutitus however I am on antiobotics and prednisone but still have tightness in throat and when it goes down my throat hurts. any suggestions on what I could put on my neck like a cold pack or a hot pack to help the inflammation it makes me think I can't breathe
Posted Fri, 18 Oct 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Hariom Sharma 9 hours later
Brief Answer:
Oropharyngitis or Thyroid problem

Detailed Answer:
Hi Mam,
Thank you for your query.

I have gone through your query, it suggest that tightness in your throat may be due to

1. Oropharyngitis with Sinusitis (Due to inflammatory response)
2. Thyroid problem ( due to compression of trachea by thyroid gland)

To reach on near diagnosis, you need to go for

1. USG (Ultrasound)of neck
2. X XXXXXXX soft tissue neck
3. Throat swab culture and sensitivity.

If you are improving by antibiotics and prednisone then there is no need to these investigations , only add nasal decongestant and antiallergic drugs.

If you have any doubt, I will be available for your query.

Wish you good health

Follow-up: Having tightness in throat from sinus infection. Prescribed antiobotics and prednisone. Suggestions? 4 hours later
I am on my last day of antiobotics that I have been on for 10 days but will be continuing prednisone for 3 more days my throat keeps getting inflamed where it feels real sore once the inflammation goes down it feels like I have a lot of drainage that is going down into my throat that I feel possibly could be causing my swelling since I was diagnosed with an infection due to my white cell count was high. My neck is real tight and has been for about a week and no relief just wondering what suggestions you have on getting this relief is it normal for throat to swell if you have mucus drainage because er doctor told me I was just a ball of snot please advise thanks

Answered by Dr. Hariom Sharma 12 hours later
Brief Answer:
Continue prednisone

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for your follow up query.
I have gone through your query; it suggests that you need to go for throat swab culture and sensitivity for result that is more appropriate and more appropriate antibiotics.
For your kind information, steroids (prednisone) must always be stopped in tapering doses (decreasing order), not abruptly and use antacid with the steroid course.
Also, continue antibiotic for more days to get rid from this infection.

Wish you good health

Follow-up: Having tightness in throat from sinus infection. Prescribed antiobotics and prednisone. Suggestions? 20 hours later
well doctor as I stated before I finished my antiobotic doxycycl today and I have 2 pills left to take of the prednisone once a day so I will finish that on sunday morning however it appears after I eat something my neck gets tight from the mucus drainage that appears to be in my throat and I have to spit up the mucus in order for my neck to release pressure, my primary doctor just told me to finish the antiobotics and prednisone and then after that he told me to take claratin d but I am just concerned in regards to my neck on any natural remedies that will help bring the inflammation down to my neck tightness to help the drainage go well without this symptoms that is very aggravating to deal with. Is this normal for sinutitus or do you suggest still the throat swab culture? please advise since it has been over a week of these symptoms. thank you

Answered by Dr. Hariom Sharma 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Throat swab- culture & antibiotic sensitivity

Detailed Answer:

As you have completed the antibiotic course and going to finish prednisone I would suggest you to go for throat swab - culture and antibiotic sensitivity. It can help us isolate persisting infection if any and the right choice of drug.

In my patients with antibiotic and prednisone , I also recommend nasal decongestant , steam inhalation , antiallergic drug and antioxidant for faster recovery and symptomatic improvement.

Hope this helps. If you have any doubt, I will be available for your query.

Wish you good health

Follow-up: Having tightness in throat from sinus infection. Prescribed antiobotics and prednisone. Suggestions? 9 hours later
just a few more questions, I bought a saline nasal spray at walmart and tomorrow will be my last day of the prednisone. all if have right now on problems is a lot of mucus in my throat which I have to cough up when I eat something. I have been researching on the internet of suggestions and want to know if there is anything over the counter that will cut down the thickness of the mucus in my throat. I read on the internet about a pill you can take to loosen mucus I am sure it is a prescription form and then I also read about something called Guaifenesin. I am on vacation and every day I am getting better but this lump in my throat from the mucus is very troublesome and annoying when you have had it for 7 days plus. I will be home in 2 days so wondering of any suggestions. You mentioned the swab is it necessary when I only have this mucas buildup also can you tell me what benefit the saline nasal spray will benefit me? so please tell me answers about the spray effectiveness along with over the counter products to help with mucus as I am only on prednisone today and tomorrow and let me know do I need another course of action like the swab. Please advise thanks

Answered by Dr. Hariom Sharma 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
Mucolytic agent, acetylcystein

Detailed Answer:
'
I have gone through your query, it suggests that you are suffering from thick mucus. Acetylcystein is the good mucolytic agent to solve your purpose.

Saline nasal spray also good in this condition.

If you have only white thick mucus without any other symptom then there is no need of throat swab.

Wish you good health