Having tightness in shoulder, arm and knee joint. Remedy?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Question
Tightness in the left shoulder till mid left arm starting with pain in the rear conjoin of neck and left shoulder
Both knee joint pain
Posted Sun, 21 Jul 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Mukesh Tiwari 9 hours later
Hello XXXXXXX

I have read details of your question with diligence. Will you please answer some question so that I can help you more:

- Since when these all problems are there?

- What are factors which increases your shoulder pain & knee pain?

- Do you have relief by lying or abstaining from walking?

- Are you suffering from other diseases like high blood pressure or diabetes?

Please reply...

Follow-up: Having tightness in shoulder, arm and knee joint. Remedy? 48 hours later
Shoulder-neck pain is from 5 years. I had shown this problem to my doctor in San XXXXXXX 4 years back, and he mentioned that some deposits were depleting in that area and had suggested physiotherapy. When i used to exercise with weights, the pain used to not appear as often. But off late the pain has aggravated even with exercising.

The knee joint pain, I started getting from the past 2 months. I can hear the crackling sound when i come down stairs.

Shoulder-neck pain increases tremendously with cold air as in fan air. Also mental stress increases the tightness.

Knee pain increases with walking or standing on my feet for a long time. I also get the pain the next day after running on the tread mill.

I get relief only if I sit on a chair for long time. But if I squat cross legged down on any surface(bed/floor), then I get pain when i get up to walk and persists for some few mins.

None so far i know. I havent checked for BP and diabetes in a long time.

Answered by Dr. Mukesh Tiwari 35 hours later
Hello XXXXXXX

Your pain seems to be increased by movements at your shoulder & as well as at your knee. Your pain is also increased by change of weather & cross leg movements. By going through all details it looks that you may be suffering from early arthritis of your shoulder & knee.

You should do following to have relief:
- If you are overweight then decrease your weight.
- Do warm saline application over knee & shoulder region with help of warm pack. You should do it at least 2-3 times a day for 3-5 minutes every time.
- Learn quadriceps strengthening exercises of knee. You may do as mentioned in this link
http://quarieps.blogspot.in/2013/04/quadriceps-exercises-for-knee.html
Alternatively you may learn it from your physiotherapist.
- You may take some supplements like glucosamine sulfate & chondroitin sulfate. This will help to repair your joint cartilages. The supplements are prescription only drugs.
- If the pain is severe, then pain killers like ibuprofen can be helpful.
- Avoid cross leg movements.
- You can try physiotherapy modalities like ULTRASONIC APPLICATION / INFRA RED THERAPY,etc.

Hope this all will help you. Let me know if you need clarifications.

Wish you a happy & healthy life.