Having tightness in lower chest area and rib cage. Will this heal?

Hi, i asked you a question before about the respirable tile dust in my home. Its now been 3.5 months. It seems like slow improvement of symptoms. Still tight in lower chest area and around lower rib cage. Also my exhale still feels kind of hollow and dry. My pft was notmal two weeks ago as well as xray.
Do you think i will heal all the way with time and have normal lungs again?

Also, i am worried that i have damage to my respiratory epithelium. Can that still

hral with time? Also, another dr on here thinks that i have interstitial lung disease? Do you think it maybe?

And still dry cough, but only voluntary.
Posted Sat, 1 Jun 2013 in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. Shashi Dangwal 5 hours later

How do you do?

I am glad to hear that your symptoms have improved over time.

As i have said earlier, the symptoms that you developed when you were directly exposed to the tile dust were of acute nature and temporary which can happen to any one. You were more prone to them as you seem to have mild allergy and your airways are probably hypereactive in view of the smoking history in the past.

You seem to be over anxious for nothing. It`s good to be concerned and careful about one`s health but not obsessed with it. Nature has given a beautiful defence machanism to our body and it`s only when it gets overwhelmed with disease causing agents it breaks down. In your case no such thing is happening and just relax and take things in your stride. What ever little damage happened, has healed or will heal over time.

Regarding Interstitial lung disease, it seems unlikely at this point of time because you hardly seem to have any symptoms, your PFT is normal and if i`m not wrong, you had mentioned that your CT Scan chest was normal

If symptoms of dry persistent cough and breathlessness recurr, i suggest that you consult a pulmonologist who will put you through some tests and guide you properly.

Follow-up: Having tightness in lower chest area and rib cage. Will this heal? 36 minutes later
Ok. I understand. Its just that i put myself in what i believe now to be a senselesss situaton.
There was so much dust in the house and we stayed there for a week thinking that i could clean it all up. It was more then i anticipated, and seemed to be a very heavy exposure.
We left for a week, and then went back thinking it was all cleaned up. Their was still some, and then after a few more days i left. My lungs felt very inflammed and hollow.
I felt like i almost died. I layed in a motel for weeks barely breathing.
Now, i almost feel like i have a second chance on life, i am still hesitant.

Is that still considered acute? Almost two weeks of many hours?

And then it was respirable with silica. You really think my body can handle that exposure? Witout long term affects?

Is it normal to have symptoms this long? The tightness in chest and dry airway feeling and sound?

Do you think my symptoms will heal with time? I keep reading that airway epithelium heals witin hours or days, and mine is already months.

Thanks again

I dont want to br obsessed, i just do not want a terminal disease. Or permanent damage. What happened to me already was scary enough. All i wanted was new flooring and everything went wrong.

You think it will heal with time?
Answered by Dr. Shashi Dangwal 2 hours later

My answer is still the same as what i have said in the past again and again. You had the symptoms at the time of exposure which seem to be settling down with time.

In any case you cannot change what has happened in the past and you cannot say what is going to happen in future. Your present condition does`nt indicate that you have any major problem at present. Chances of chronic silicosis are not very strong as it requires long and continuous exposure.

If you are still worried you should be under care of a pulmonologist who can evaluate you medically from time to time.

Follow-up: Having tightness in lower chest area and rib cage. Will this heal? 4 hours later
Ok. I understand. I have been seeing a pulmonologist. He does not believe my symptoms tho so not very helpful. I guess i just want answers about what i can expect. I just thought maybe you know a similar situation, or symptoms.

You mentioned chronic silicosis. Do you think any possibilty of the acute silicosis in the future?

Do you think i should heal up all the way?

Can you answer about my airway epithelium? Can it still heal up with time and feel moisture again?

If you can just answer those three, i will be happy to accept.

You have again asked the same questions for which i have already given answers more than once.

There is hardly any possibility of acute silicosis because of the said exposure.

Your epithelium may have already healed since you have no symptoms. In any case no body can peep inside and say that it has healed completely.

Hereafter i suggest you ask another pulmonologist and take a second opinion since i have nothing more to add.

Follow-up: Having tightness in lower chest area and rib cage. Will this heal? 58 minutes later
Ok, im sorry. Its just scary. One second i feel hope, the then it feels dire.

I did ask two others on here. One thinks ill be asymptomatic in one year, with it being rads. the other thinks its interstitial lung disease.

Thats why i asked you, to see if i can get two to agree.
Answered by Dr. Shashi Dangwal 16 hours later
From the beginning i have been telling you that it appears to be a mild form of RADS and you are already on the road to recovery.