Having tightness in lower back and suffered facial numbness. Suggestions

Hi I have suffered from facial numbness on the left side for the past 4 months ! It's not extremely sore but is extremely frustrating ! I have attended a gp who treated a sinus infection which was unsuccessfull - I have got sinus x rays which I expect to b clear also ! Oh the numbness is felt mainly in the jaw / sinus area and into the lips all on one side I have a tightness in my lower back and am wondering if this could rest in referred pain ??
Posted Tue, 17 Dec 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Prasad 57 minutes later
Brief Answer: Visiting a neurologist would be helpful... Detailed Answer: Hi, In all probabilities the facial numbness and back ache are not related. Definitely back ache is not referred to the face. You describe reduced sensation with or without pain on the left side of face (jaw and sinus). These areas are supplied by maxillary and mandibular branches of trigeminal nerve. So the obvious primary suspect is trigeminal neuralgia. I would like to know if you have had zoster infection in the past? Have had dental procedures done on the left jaw or any other traumatic events of the face. If yes, they may be related. This is definitely not a condition which your GP would handle. I would refer you to a neurologist who can examine and perform routine investigations to exclude causes of trigeminal neuralgia. As you look for the appointment, start yourself on vitamin b12 supplements. It has neuroprotective property. Hope this helped. Let me know if you need clarifications. Regards
Follow-up: Having tightness in lower back and suffered facial numbness. Suggestions 7 hours later
Thx - the pain /numbness eases when I lie down and am just wondering if that makes sense with the possible nerve damage
Answered by Dr. Prasad 51 minutes later
Brief Answer: Yes... Neuralgia is a definite possibility... Detailed Answer: Hi, Symptoms of trigeminal neuralgia is not constant. It can vary - some events might flare it and some might relieve it. Further the precipitating and relieving factors are not the same for all individuals. Exposure to cold and movements of the jaw are two common precipitating factors. Sleep relieves it in few individuals. Since your symptom is very consistent with neuralgia, I urge you to see a neurologist and get this sorted out. Solution is available. Hope this helps. Feel free to ask for clarification before closing the discussion. Best wishes