Having tightness around belly especially when sitting. Could this be muscle issue?

Hello Doctor: Been having tightness (like a rubber band) around belly section for a few months now....i feel this especially when sitting down..could this be muscle issue? visceral fat issue? heart issue related? .also I notice sometimes my heart skips beats after climbing stairs (14 stairs)...should I be concerned? I noticed this after i climbed stairs and sat down.
Posted Thu, 5 Dec 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Benard Shehu 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Please follow the suggestion below... Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXXXX I read carefully your query, and would like to say: Yes, the pain around the belly is more likely to be of muscular issue and due to visceral fat tissue. This kind of pain is not normally related to heart disease. I read about your heart skips beat and would like to say do not worry too much about that because in most of the cases, these are caused by ventricular premature beats, which are normally benign arrhythmia. To avoid this unwanted concern, I recommend doing muscular exercise during the work and at home. At the beginning, try light exercises (walking), and then gradually go for moderate to aerobic exercising (like running, etc.) Also to avoid the arrhythmia, do not stop the physical activity immediately but I recommend some cool down exercise before. Hope it answered to your inquiries! Wish you health! Dr.Benard p.s. If you have more concerns, feel free to write back to me! I'd be happy to assist you further.
Follow-up: Having tightness around belly especially when sitting. Could this be muscle issue? 8 hours later
Hi Doctor Shehu: Thank you so much for your answer! I guess my body is "giving me the signals" that is thirsty for physical activity. The issue is that when i start to work out.. it induces fast/heavy breathing(hyperventilation)....This got worse after some viral? infection that knocked me out for two weeks about two years ago. For about 6-9 months after this infection...I needed 2-3 pillows to sleep on...I did not know if this was part of worsening apnea or something else. Things are better in that regard. Just another brief question. During the sleep study about 9 months ago....they wrote on the report that they detected some Sub-Ventricular Contractions(SVCs). This of course happenes(d) during sleep. Don't know if the apnea caused(es) this or its just something that just happens. Should this be a sign of concern? The apnea is better now with the CPAP and mouth exercises. I know some weight loss and aerobic exercise will help. Thank you, XXXXX PS. I visited Tirana last summer for the first time and I loved it!!! I attended a wedding with my girlfriend (she is Albanian and I'm of Greek background---we live in Toronto, Canada). I loved the food, the people and the scenery...especially the restaurant on top of the mountain(took the teleferique) and the revolving restaurant around the centre of the city. Stayed there for 5 days. In my view...Tirana is a progressive city and with the right political guidance and will become even better(I home Mr. XXXXXXX will help this) :))
Answered by Dr. Benard Shehu 3 hours later
Brief Answer: Please refer to the following answer... Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXXXX It is normal for every person to get fast breathing when working out, especially when it comes to heavy physical activity. To ensure you do not have any cardiac problem, I'd suggest to run ECG, Holter ECG and cardiac echo. If everything is normal, no need to worry. Hope it answered to your inquiry! Dr.Benard p.s.Glad to know you enjoyed Tirana.
Follow-up: Having tightness around belly especially when sitting. Could this be muscle issue? 51 minutes later
Hi Dr. Shehu: Thank you for your response. Yes...i understand people breath fast when they exercise but to the point where the breathing can go "out of control"? How about the Sub Venticular Contractions during sleep? Any views? Also I will book the tests you mentioned to put my mind to rest. Thank you XXXXX
Answered by Dr. Benard Shehu 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Please refer to the following answer... Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXXXX Thank you for writing back. With regards to Sub-ventricular contractions during sleep, they are shown a slight arrhythmia which might be present in ill and in normal people. Regarding the problems you are facing with your breathing during physical activity, that is completely normal as long as the cardiac examination is normal. To put you at rest, I recommend to - do the cardiac tests, - do more physical activity - train yourself some simple breathing techniques. Inhale breathe slowly, keep it for a while, then, release slowly when exercising or having the attacks. - if you are obese or overweight, try to reduce weight. - coping with stress. Each of us is under pressure; you must train yourself overcome such situations without damaging your body. Hope it answered to your inquiry! Wish you health! Dr. Benard Shehu
Follow-up: Having tightness around belly especially when sitting. Could this be muscle issue? 3 hours later
Thank you Dr. are absolutely correct with everything...i also think that sleep apnea and hypopnea played a roll in all this....I recently discovered this issue but i think its been with me for many years....again thank you very much for your input!
Answered by Dr. Benard Shehu 8 hours later
Brief Answer: Happy to hear my advice was of help! Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXXXX Happy to hear that my input was of help for you. Wish you health and all the best! Dr. Benard Shehu