Having tight stomach, retaining solids and passing only fliuds. Cat scan showed fluid between stomach and skin. Advise?

Jan 2013

Hi Doctor my father has recently come home from hospital and went in caused by tight stomach and retaining solids and passing only fliuds. he had a cat scan and it shows fluid between his stomach and his skin. they took samples and hes had no diagnosis yet he is in pain. I am trying to find a remidy all i have seen is some remedies for stomach swelling as such as fennel and dill, cinamon and another boiled up. do you have any remedies or maybe some sort of direction as to a medicine that could help. it has been current for about two weeks.
Posted Fri, 31 May 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 1 hour later
Welcome to XXXXXXX forum.

Let me know your other associated symptoms along with mentioned.
Does your father has acidic belching/ abdominal discomfort/ gargling sound in abdomen/ abdominal bloating after taking meals?
Does your father has yellow discoloration of eyes and urine/ loss of appetite/ increasing abdominal pain after meals/ fever?
Is your father alcoholic?

With the available described symptoms, there appears to be possibility of ascites (fluid collection in peritoneal cavity).
Ascites could be localized or throughout spread in peritoneal cavity.
Localized ascites or fluid collection at defined site could be due to pancreatic problem.

You should consult with XXXXXXX medicine specialist/ gastroenterologist and should go for thorough check up.
Your father should also go for complete blood count, serum amylase and lipase, renal function test, erythrocyte sedimentation rate, CT/ MRI scan abdomen.
Ascitic fluid examination, fluid cholesterol, ADA, and malignant cells is also required.

Paracentesis (removal of ascitic fluid) is mandatory for exact diagnosis of cause of ascites.
Treatment also depends on exact diagnosis.

Let me know the report of ascitic fluid examination.

Hope that helps.
Let me know your other query.
Take care,
Dr. Mayank Bhargava