Having tight foreskin on penis, problem in retracting it smoothly. Was advised for circumcision surgery. Suggest?

General Surgeon
Hello Sir,

I am 31 years old. I have a problem with my tight foreskin (not severe phimosis). I am able to retract the foreskin behind the XXXXXXX and also retract back to it's original state but with a little tightness and effort. Tightness is involved may be because, I have succeeded to retract the foreskin completely on just before few days back. I have checked this matter with couple of doctors and they suggesting for circumcision surgery but I am afraid as the procedure is involved to removing the foreskin and frenulum which are most sensitive part of penis and without them I may loss natural sexual sensation and pleasure controls.
Please advice,
**whether in my case circumcision is needed or normal stretching effort for some temporary duration will help me to archive the same results as circumcision surgery.
**what parts of penis helps for sexual pleasure, whether that is foreskin, frenulum, glan?
**post to the circumcision surgery, sexual pleasure and sensation will be reduce?
**in my case, is it going to be a risk to have sex without circumcision surgery, even if I am able to retract manually my foreskin.

Posted Sat, 25 May 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 41 minutes later

Thank you for the query.

Tight foreskin of the penis is nothing more than phimosis. Even if it is just a little too narrow, its still phimosis. And there is nothing wrong in calling it that way.

The main problem with such narrow foreskin is that you may find it very hard to retract it, in such case, the swelling can cause penis compression and a condition called paraphimosis. This one is a very urgent condition and may result with urgent surgery. Moreover it gives lots of pain and suffering.

Circumcision sounds quite radical. You need to imagine that usually only a top part of a foreskin is too narrow and the other one is fine. That is why it is not necessary to remove whole foreskin. Just a part of it. So it wont have any effect on your sexual pleasure.

** As you are 31 years old, I assume that there were lots of stretching of your foreskin and it havent helped. Stretching wont help at your case (it helps when you are a kid), moreover it can make your phimosis worse due to severe inflammation
** Responsible for sexual pleasure is frenulum. This is the place of nerves accumulation. This part wont be removed for sure.
** As frenulum wont be incised, so circumcision wont have any effect on your sexual pleasure
** Yes, it can be risky to have sex without circumcision as your foreskin can get stuck what will lead to paraphimosis

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.

Follow-up: Having tight foreskin on penis, problem in retracting it smoothly. Was advised for circumcision surgery. Suggest? 10 hours later
Hello Sir,

Thanks a lot for the reply.
I have checked with my doctor regarding the circumcision procedure and as per him, the foreskin and frenulum both will be removed. Now I am worried by comparing my doctor's advice with the points as you mentioned in your earlier reply as frenulum is responsible for sexual pleasure and that part would not be removed.
**As per my doctor's advice if I proceed for the surgery and allowed to remove my foreskin and frenulum then Is it impossible for me to get sexual pleasure and sensation?
**Please correct me if I am taking my doctors advice differently, I mean to say the foreskin associated with the frenulum will be removed but there will be a connection by stitches between glans and frenulum tissues. Is that the part of circumcision surgery procedure?

Please suggest.........

Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 9 hours later
**Frenulum is a very important as it pulls the glans penis and in that way allows to have sexual pleasure. So if you will have frenulum removed and nothing would be pulling the penis, sexual pleasure will be decreased (but not impossible)
** It can be a part of circumcision surgery, depending on what part of foreskin is removed. If there will be another connection, similar to frenulum created in the place where frenulum should be present, you should be able to have sexual pleasure. However it can take some time after a surgery to regain full sensing in this area.

Hope this will help.
Follow-up: Having tight foreskin on penis, problem in retracting it smoothly. Was advised for circumcision surgery. Suggest? 1 hour later
Thanks for the reply Dr. Grzegorz.

**So, what should be my approach to the doctor before circumcision surgery. Shall I approach him to not remove my frenulum or allow him to do what ever he fells right for me as he already stated that frenulum and foreskin both will be removed in the procedure?

**Post to the surgery, without foreskin and frenulum or frenulum replaced by scar tissues definitely not allow the mobility of the skin on penis which I usually do during masturbation, I mean to say gliding of skin on penis to generate sexual sensation. So how the sexual pleasure normally will arise post to the surgery during sexual intercourse and masturbation?

if no foreskin left post to the surgery which not allows to mobility of skin on penis,
then how I can sense the sensation and plesure during masterbation and sex?
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 35 minutes later

Thanks for writing back.

I suggest you to trust your doctor (I suppose he is an urologist). From the point of this service it is very hard to evaluate how much of the foreskin should be removed. So your doctor has a great advantage, he can take a look on it, examine you and make proper decision. If the doctor says frenulum needs to be removed, this is what should be done

It is not the mobility of the foreskin giving you the sexual pleasure. It is more stimulation of the glans penis and pulling through the frenulum. So direct contact of the penis and vagina with repeated moves forward and backward should stimulate the penis, so the sexual satisfaction can be achieved. The same situation is with masturbation. It will be a little different as there will be no foreskin, but I`m pretty sure that you will find a way to get used to it. There are many patients without foreskin having their sexual life without any problems.

Hope this will help.