Having thyroid disease and diabetes. Reason for itchy and burning shoulder blade with no rashes?

My left sholder blade is burning but itchy at the same time it been 6 day now and getting worse? My whole left shoulder blade I'm have a bad burning feeling but it also itchy, the skin is not raised I can't see that part of my back to well.. Most of my c-spine is fused do to an accident 12 years ago, but the pain is not in that area. A little bit about my health I am a diabetic, also thyroid.
I looked up shingles and I'm not showing any of the rash systoms.
Posted Wed, 10 Apr 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal 2 hours later

Thank you for your query.

As your left shoulder blade is itchy, burning and does not have a rash for the last 6 days I suggest that you apply some calamine lotion and observe. This should give you a soothing effect. After a bath you may apply some moisturizing lotion. This should give you relief. In case the problem persists you should consult a dermatologist who shall examine and guide you accordingly.

As you cannot see the back, the most probable reason can be an insect bite or some allergic reaction.

I hope I have answered your query to your satisfaction. Please feel free to revert back in case you need any clarifications or would like to share more facts.

Wishing you an early relief.

Rajiv K Khandelwal
Follow-up: Having thyroid disease and diabetes. Reason for itchy and burning shoulder blade with no rashes? 7 minutes later
I've done all you have suggusted with no relief, its more of a burning then itch, my, daughter just look its not red or rash but it is swollen..
Answered by Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal 19 minutes later

Thank you for the update.

If the suggestions given by me have not produced relief then it is very unlikely a superificial skin condition. As you mention that the area is swollen but not red then it shall be advisable to get it examined by a doctor to know the cause. The swelling of the underlying muscles may be causing both the swelling and the burning sensation.

I hope I have clarified your concerns.